Monday 15 October 2007

After it's all said and done

After all the discussions in class about fate vs. freewill, I now wonder whether I can actually choose one side. In the movie Stranger Than Fiction, Harold's fate is to die. However, he has some freewill. He decides to stop counting when he is brushing his teeth and he decides to eat the cookies that Ana Pascal made. I think there cannot be just one answer. People have a fate, but they also have freewill. Freewill does not mean that people can change their fate, freewill simply means that people can make their own decisions. Sometimes freewill can be used to improve a persons life. Even though Harold Crick knew he was going to die, he made the best of the situation. Instead of being lonely, he got a girlfriend.

I also walked away wondering whether if there is an actual answer to this question. Fate or freewill? The more I think about the question the more I get confused. Oedipus obviously had a fate, but just like Harold and everybody else in the world, he also had freewill. But can freewill be limited? Everyday I have the choice of going to school or not. Everyday I go to school. Because my freewill is limited in many situations throughout my life, do I have any freewill at all? Is my fate to go to school forever?! (haha, no) Fate or freewill is a question which I believe has no correct answer. People can believe whichever one they want, but there will always be someone who disagrees with them. For this reason, I have chosen neither fate nor freewill.

2 comments:

Devin said...

wise decision, squeeze-it-man.

TCR said...

Apparently, we have been thinking the same thing. There is no definite answer to fate and free will and that is what I learned over the unit.